The InterContinental Montreal–site of the IHG Owners Association Canada Committee Meeting–beautifully blends the historic with luxury state-of-the-art. We had dinner in an underground stone vaults used to store gun powder during the French-British Wars. The dinner conversation among hotel owner/operators? Rising RevPAR and raising rates.
Better than the first sighting of daffodils on an early spring morning? Heartwarming hospitality industry performance stats continue to roll in
According to The Highland Group:
- RevPAR hit an all-time nominal high of $60.66 for US extended stay hotels during 2013.
- Upscale and mid-price segments each set new annual RevPAR highs. Highland expects the economy sector to reach record levels in 2014.
- Extended-stay rooms under construction grew by 45% during 2013. Room supply growth should increase for the foreseeable future.
And 2014 is looking good so far, too. Our friends at Smith Travel Research report across-the-board RevPAR increases during February:
- The economy segment led the way with 7-9% increases.
- Upper-upscale, upscale, upper-midscale and midscale segments posted gains of 6-8%.
- The luxury segment saw a 5-7% jump in RevPAR.
This economic warming trend can mean only one thing - time for
Planning to raise room rates and generate your own upswing in RevPAR?
If so, a squeaky clean, well-maintained property is a must!
Guests are much more likely to weather a rate increase with a sunny smile if they get great service and a sparkling room where everything functions smoothly. That’s where hotel ServicePro can help. Use our system to keep on top of guest requests. Create and respond to work orders as quickly as possible. Conduct regular inspections to make sure everything is in tip-top shape.
Prices for mobile devices are at an all-time low–about the same cost as a hotel room. Take advantage and set up your success cycle: Install hotel ServicePro on your handheld devices, keep your property and service up to par, avoid just one guest refund request, and you’ve paid for a device.
Last – but certainly not least – deep clean every room on at least a
You know the drill–clean under the bed, flip the mattress, wash the draperies, shampoo the carpets. The list goes on… And keeping track of it is easy with hotel ServicePro’s deep cleaning reminders and scheduling. The system makes cleaning and post-scrub inspections a routine part of housekeeping’s schedule.
With that in mind, I consulted an esteemed Quality Assurance Expert to bring you…
The Top 10 Tips for Spring Cleaning Guestrooms
- Run a 1:2 vinegar-to-water mixture through guest room coffee makers to remove stains and build up. Then run clean water through the machine for a thorough rinse.
- Use an inexpensive disposable electric toothbrush to clean shower grout.
- Use melamine foam (magic eraser) and an all-purpose cleaner to make tub bottoms shine like new.
- Use “My Little Steamer” to remove build up from glass shower doors and mirrors.
- Use canned compressed air to remove crumbs from the cracks in furniture. Store properly; this is a combustible!
- Use rubbing alcohol to remove hairspray from mirrors and clean remote controls.
- Use an inexpensive paint brush to dust HVAC vents and exhaust fans in bathrooms.
- Use “Grout Sensation” to clean discolored bathroom floor grout.
- Check to see that first aid kits are properly stocked and up to date.
- Spring clean your office. Remove all outdated paper, clean binders, update brand standard notebooks. Or…order hotel ServicePro to skip this step, and
Corporate travel is about to jump into full swing and I’ll be right in there with my fellow road warriors. Look for me at the Hunter Hotel Investment Conference this week (Atlanta), the Hampton Exploratorium on April 1 (Orlando), and back in Atlanta for the IHG Owner Summit on April 3.
How does your property make corporate travelers feel welcome and well cared for? Catch me on the road or comment below. Then stay tuned next month for tips on pampering your corporate guests so they keep coming back for more.